The importance of choosing the right home builder for your project can’t be overstated. Your home builder will be involved in every facet of the process, so you want to establish a great working relationship and an open line of communication right up front. Here is a great checklist to help you select the very best home builder for you:
- Contact your local home builders’ association for the names of member builders: NAHB: Finding A Local Association . You can also ask family, friends or coworkers for recommendations. (Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc. is a member of the Builders Association of Elkhart County.)
- Make sure the builder has a permanent business location and a good reputation with local banks and suppliers. (Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc. office has been located at 26262 County Road 40, Goshen, Indiana for nearly 50 years.)
- Find out how long they have been in the building business. It usually takes three to five years to establish a financially sound business. You want to make sure they will be around after the construction is complete to service any warranties. (Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc. was established in 1965.)
- Check out the company’s rating and if there have been any complaints filed with your local Better Business (Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc. has an A+ rating with the BBB.)
- Make sure the builder has sufficient workers compensation and general liability insurance. If not, you may be liable for any construction-related accidents on your (Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc. carries all insurance and conducts weekly safety training.)
- Ask the builder/remodeler to provide you with names of previous customers. If they won’t, beware. If they do, ask the customers if they would hire the builder/remodeler again. (Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc. will provide you a list of past clients, a great deal of our business comes from referrals!)
- Ask if you can see the builders work, both completed and in progress. Check for quality of workmanship and materials. (We are proud of our work and will be happy to show qualified parties completed and projects in progress.)
- Do you feel you can easily communicate with the builder? Remember you will be in close contact with them throughout the construction process, and afterward, as you live in your new home. (We recognize the investment our clients make in their homes; therefore we provide unparalleled service throughout the project.)
- Make sure the builder/remodeler provides you with a complete and clearly written contract. The contract will benefit both of you. If you are having a new home built, get and review a copy of the home warranty and homeowner manual as well. (Written contracts are provided on every project; a home warranty and an extensive homeowner manual are provided on each new construction project. Martin Brothers abides by/or exceeds the Indiana Quality Assurance Builder Standards.)
- Be cautious of unusually low-priced bids. If the builder is unable to pay for the materials and labor as the project proceeds, this may indicate a potential problem. Keep in mind that less expensive does not necessarily mean better! (Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc. will be happy to discuss with you our policy regarding payment. In most instances we pay all suppliers and subcontractors before invoicing a custom home client.)
Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc., of Elkhart County, Indiana, is known throughout Michiana as the area’s premier, upscale, custom home builder and remodeler. Our award-winning homes are crafted with detail in mind from start to finish by our experienced team of career carpenters and construction management professionals. Martin Bros. Contracting, Inc. serves clients within a 50 mile radius of their rural Goshen, Indiana address.
Find more helpful advice on home building and remodeling at www.nahb.org/forconsumers orhttps://www.nahb.org/en/consumers/homeownership/remodeling-your-home.aspx.